Does the question “what are your salary expectations?” make you feel like busting out of the interview room? Research shows that women consistently ask for less than men. You have to ask for what you’re worth, sister.
Here are a few tips to help you get equal pay for equal work when you’re out there looking for a new job:
- Do some research to get an idea of typical salaries
- Use your network to get a sense of what the job should pay
- Think about what other benefits you want (a provision for flex work, for example) and you could include this in negotiations
- Ask what the salary range is before responding with a number
- Remember that many employers expect candidates to negotiate their initial offer