Read through the following list of qualities that help to paint a picture of a good board member. Can you think of anyone in your organization who has many of these characteristics?
- minimum of 10 to 15 years of experience in a senior executive role in the public, private, crown or not-for-profit sectors
- team player
- financial acumen
- experience in critical areas in our changing world such as risk management, international markets, cybersecurity, digital media, e-commerce, etc.
- prepared to commit at least 200 to 300 hours per year to a corporate board role
- support of the current board of directors and/or senior management to serve on the board
- formal governance certification or designation (C. Dir. or ICD.D) from the Directors College or the Institute of Corporate Directors
- served on a not-for-profit or for-profit board
- understands that the dynamics of boards is a critical component of good governance
- fully understand the role, responsibility, and liability of a corporate director understands the difference between the role of the board versus the role of company management